Location: Press Club Brussels Europe (PCBE, Rue Froissart 95, 1000 Brussels)
Date: For different periods in the year , exception made for July& August, short (one month) or longer (3 to 4 months)
Organization: AEJ Belgium
Acceptation after personal interview (also possible by Skype) that is to define as well the selection of tasks to be done out of the general menu below.
About AEJ Belgium:
The International Association of European Journalists (AEJ) in Belgium is an independent non-profit vzw/asbl under Belgian law. The association’s overall aim and mission is to promote reporting on the European integration process, to defend media freedom in Europe and to promote cross-border journalism.
The AEJ brings together professional journalists, mostly correspondents who report on the EU and its institutions on a daily basis. Our broad press membership has a keen, general interest in Europe and includes also freelance contributors to television and radio, national, regional and specialist newspapers, periodicals, websites, blogs and other new media, as well as university and college students and scholars in the field of journalism and media innovation.
The AEJ in Belgium also brings together media experts and professionals, academics, public relations and communication professionals, civil society advocates, political and business leaders with the aim to enrich the dialogue on media matters, and facilitate the growth of the profession, in a very troubling time for the industry and the profession.
• Gather story ideas and write/produce stories on innovations of importance to journalists and correspondents
• Work with staff to generate traffic for our website
• Work with staff to produce external communications, including AEJ Belgium’s newsletter.
• Fact check, proofread, format, and edit as necessary.
• Research about Think Tanks in Europe and /or Media innovation organizations in view of publication of directories on the AEJ website(s)
• Create videos and other multimedia communications to supplement news stories
• Perform interviews
• Mail marketing
• Inform about AEJ and try to increase the number of members
• Assist organization of events such as Difference Day (May 3, Bozar), Press Seminars and Press Conferences in different venues in Brussels (PCBE, EP,…)
*This is a menu of possible tasks. Concrete tasks are selected in regard of personal profile and interests of the trainee, after discussion with the supervisor from AEJ.
• Excellent professional writing and communication skills
• Able to write thoughtful pieces about venues, events, opportunities, etc
• Able to meet deadlines
• Able to think critically and creatively
• Work well with remote teams
• Be proactive and able to handle multiple projects at once
• Positive attitude
• Basic WordPress knowledge
• Must be 18 years old or older
• Must be enrolled full-time/part-time at a college or university (unpaid internship)
• Must be a junior, senior or graduate student
• Must preferably major in journalism or a communications discipline or in European Studies
• Must be able to relocate to Brussels for the full time of the internship program. (Housing assistance is not provided)